Table of contents
Palo Santo: are you curious about what this Holy Wood could do for you? And what benefits might be gained out of burning it? This blog is here to help you out!
‘Palo Santo’ is Spanish for ‘Holy Wood’. It is one of nature’s most mysterious tools; it is believed that Palo Santo could raise vibrations, purify a space, or cleanse a person. With its beautiful and sweet aroma it could potentially bring peace, calm the mind, and bring clarity to a situation or place. Want to know how to use Palo Santo Sticks? Keep reading this blog!
Originally from the coast of South America, Palo Santo has other mystical relatives such as Frankincense, Myrrh, and Copal. The Palo Santo Smudge Sticks come from the Palo Santo Tree called Bursera Graveolens. It is considered to be a deeply sacred and spiritual tree. Native Americans believe that it possesses cleansing energy and healing properties similar to White Sage and Cedar. However, Palo Santo Wood is related to the citrus family, which explains the sweet fragrance.
The Native Americans traditionally used, and to this day still use, the Palo Santo Sacred Wood for the relief of common colds and the flu. Moreover, they also use it for matters relating to health, such as asthma, stress, headaches, depression, inflammation, and anxiety. Nowadays, it is mostly used for smudging or cleansing a room of negative energies, or simply to refresh a room after having a party or having guests over.
Using Palo Santo Wood Sticks is fairly easy. It can be used to cleanse a room of negative energies, unwanted energies such as ghosts, meditation and even to cleanse your crystals. We have created a handy overview for How To Burn Palo Santo Sticks. Always remain cautious when working with fire. These are some of the ways in which Palo Santo is often used:
- Take a Palo Santo Wood Smudge Stick and preferably light it with a candle. It is also possible to use a lighter.
- Allow the Holy Wood Sticks to burn for approximately 30 to 60 seconds and then carefully blow it out.
- Move around the space that you wish to be cleansed. Allow the smoke to waft through the room. You could also make a figure-eight form.
- As you take the Burning Palo Santo into each corner of the space, you could choose to chant out loud, such as: ‘I ask that the plant spirit of Palo Santo please blesses this place’.
- A rich, sweet smell will fill the air, which could evoke peace and clarity.
- Once you feel you have cleansed the space, place the Burning Santo Palo in a fireproof bowl or an Abalone Shell and allow it to fully burn out.
- Perform a morning ritual or create a Full Moon ritual with Palo Santo Holy Wood.
- Light candles and allow the sunlight or moonlight to come in.
- Light a stick for approximately 30 to 60 seconds and then carefully blow it out.
- For a morning ritual, sit quietly for 10 to 15 minutes and focus on your intentions for the day, holding gratitude in your heart.
- For a Full Moon ritual, meditate for 10 to 15 minutes and focus on the emotions or people that no longer serve you any purpose and release them.
- Afterward, stretch your body and thank the Universe.
- Place the desired crystals together in an area or on a tray.
- Light the Palo Santo for approximately 30 to 60 seconds. Make sure it smokes well.
- Allow the smoke from the stick to cover the crystals and area they are in.
- Once the stick has burned out, your crystals will be cleansed.
- Start afresh with new intentions and charge them in direct Full Moonlight.
The benefits of Burning Palo Santo are different for everyone. Indigenous peoples believed that the Holy Tree Wood could banish ghosts, cleanse negative energy, and even cleanse a person. Other purported benefits include enhanced creativity, good fortune for those who are open to its wondrous ways, enhanced concentration during meditation, and even raised vibrations. Who wouldn’t want that?
Unfortunately, many shops sell fake Palo Santo. It is a little tricky to tell whether or not you bought real Palo Santo. Needless to say, at Spiru, we only sell real Palo Santo. These real Palo Santo sticks are made of the wood that has already fallen off the tree. Thus, no trees are cut down for production. If you want to make sure the stick of Palo Santo is real, there are a few aspects to pay attention to:
- It burns for only 10 – 15 seconds before going out and will then continue to smoke.
- It has a bit of a sweet musky scent to it, instead of just smelling like burned wood.
- It is very fragrant.
- It is a very soft wood, so it is easy to break a piece off of it.
Palo Santo can also be used in combination with White Sage. These two ingredients are often combined in so-called Smudge Kits. To complete the kit, you can also add an Abalone Shell or some regular incense. Want to boost your spiritual journey? Add a crystal! Amethyst and Selenite are great crystals if you do not have any experience with crystals. All your spiritual needs will be fulfilled at Spiru!